Sunday, January 26, 2020

Seeing politicians the utilitarian way

I don't know how clearly my utilitarianism comes through in my political posts. Obviously, it affects my goals. But it also affects how I emotionally respond to political figures themselves.

Utilitarians want to increase everyone's happiness. In large-scale politics, this requires us to take a zoomed-out perspective where we can see all the happiness. From this perspective, each person's happiness is tiny.

Powerful politicians still stand out because their effects on others' happiness are so great. But their own happiness is no greater than anyone else's. The reason to focus on them is the consequences: averting calamities like war and climate change that could harm many. The greater my power to help, the less I can let personal resentments lead me to suboptimal strategies on such important issues. The right emotions to cultivate toward politicians will concern their powers to affect outcomes, and not their own character.

In Kantian language, I must regard politicians not as persons, but as things. I shouldn't get caught up in judging them personally. I have to focus on how useful they can be in avoiding disasters, and how to use them effectively.

This sits well with me, because I don't see myself as a person in the Kantian way. I'm just a thing with feelings. I hope I have pleasant feelings. And I really want to be a useful thing.